INTERNATIONAL. Welcome to The Moodie Davitt eZine – Travel Retail’s Lookbook. This issue captures the blend of excitement and deep concern that have converged in the build-up to one of our industry’s most critical trading periods, Lunar New Year.
Traditionally a time of great celebration – and opportunity – for our channel, this key festive season sees millions of Chinese travel within China and abroad. Airports, retailers, restaurateurs and brands are marking the Year of the Rat in style with spectacular promotions, activations, events and product launches – and we showcase some of the best examples.
But a long and widening shadow has been cast over this year’s celebrations with the outbreak of a new coronavirus strain, originating in Wuhan, China. The virus is spreading with startling speed and devastating consequences, and comparisons have inevitably been drawn with the SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome) health crisis of 2003. We assess the potential impact.
We stay in China for a fascinating analysis from The Moodie Davitt Report content partner Jing Daily on the main developments it expects to see in the luxury fashion industry in the country this year.
The rest of issue 275 looks like this:
- Travel retail highlights: Our regular look at the industry’s best new launches, activations and openings.
- Airports as Artports: Charlotte Douglas International Airport has earned a reputation for curating dynamic artworks. A moving sculpture that highlights the wonder of flight recently joined the line-up.
- Travel Retail’s Positive Disruptors and Innovators: Billion Connect is creating a value-enhancing link between SIM card business and travel retail.
- Sense of Place: Espresso Bar at Cairns Airport is expressing local culture through coffee and art.
- Duty Calls: Istanbul Airport has launched a competition to raise environmental awareness and reduce waste.
- The Front Line: We profile Colombian Emeralds International’s Cornelia Bakker, who enjoys meeting people of different nationalities and is a consummate professional.
- Stock Watch: The coronavirus outbreak has led to uncertainty and fear on the stock market.
Please enjoy this edition of The Moodie Davitt eZine with our compliments.