Moodie Davitt snapshot: The Shilla Duty Free at Incheon International Airport T2
– 6 stores, spread over 2,105 sq m
– “The best beauty experience in Incheon” promised
– Dual focus on interactive technology and customer experience
– Digital beauty bar to maximise engagement
– 110 brands on offer
– 360sq m flagship store zone to feature Chanel, Dior, Lancôme, Estée Lauder, SK-II and Sulwhasoo boutiques
– Nine newcomer brands (Korean and international)
– Big promotional campaign to mark opening
Source: The Moodie Davitt Report
SOUTH KOREA. The Shilla Duty Free has pledged “brand new kinds of customer experience that the airport has never seen before” at its new Incheon International Terminal 2 perfumes & cosmetics stores.
T2 opens on 18 January. As first revealed by The Moodie Davitt Report, The Shilla Duty Free was awarded the terminal’s perfumes & cosmetics contract after an open tender last year.
The travel retailer offered KW100 billion (US$87.9 million) in first-year guarantees for the five-year contract, which covers six stores and 2,105sq m of space.
Interactive experiences promised
Shilla said that the T2 stores will offer “the best beauty experience in Incheon”. The overall retail concept will major on two key themes – “interactive” and “experience”.
Seven interactive experience zones will enhance brand identity through promotional campaigns and product demonstrations.
Customer interactive elements will include a ‘Digital Beauty Bar’, powered by what Shilla described as “cutting-edge display and information & communication technology”. It will provide a combination of information services, in-store promotions and virtual make-up previews, using a “gigantic” LED screen and interactive kiosk.
Around 110 cosmetics & perfume brands, Korean and international, will be on offer. Chanel, Dior, Lancôme, Estée Lauder, SK-II and Sulwhasoo will each have flagship stores within an area of approximately 360sq m. The flagships are three times larger than the brands’ existing shops at the airport, Shilla said. Each has been independently conceptualised and designed by the respective beauty houses to create unique brand experiences. Key aspects of each offer are as follows:
Chanel: “Brand new skincare experience”, featuring in-store product demonstrations and new product awareness using VR technology.
Dior: Professional make-up artist’s product recommendations and demonstrations; Digital beauty tool including skin type analyser and lip test tablet.
Lancôme: Virtual make-up mirror to showcase popular items and new arrivals; Digital screen covering entire store interior for video demonstrations.
Estée Lauder: In-store engraving for various products, including fragrances and lipsticks.
SK-Ⅱ: Skin type analysis for personal counselling and product recommendation.
Sulwhasoo: Hands & eyes massages; skin analysis and related product recommendation service with in-store moisture-measuring device.
Focus on newness
The offer will not just be about established brands. The Shilla Duty Free is also promising nine brand newcomers. Five are Korean – Primera, Too Cool for School, Cell Fusion C and Atopalm – and four imported – Caudalie, Foreo, Santa Maria Novella, Acqua di Parma and Atelier Cologne
The Shilla Duty Free is running several promotions to celebrate the T2 store opening. They include:
- Scratch card lottery coupons: All purchases over US$1 qualify. Shilla gift card prizes ranging up to KRW1 million (US$945) to be won.
- Special gifts: 47 perfume & cosmetics give-away GWPs.
- ‘Golden pouch of luck’: Special offer packages on 100 items from 30 brands for a limited time.
- Lucky roulette promotion: A roulette game in a digital kiosk offers random gifts, including coupons, gift cards and free gifts.