INDIA. Bangalore International Airport Ltd (BIAL) has selected the Oberoi Group to operate a five-star hotel under the name Trident Hilton at the new Bangalore International Airport, which opens in 2008.

It will be the first airport hotel in India that will be within walking distance of the terminal building, said BIAL Chief Executive Albert Brunner this week.

Brunner told reporters at a press briefing on Wednesday: “Their investment was the highest, even though it did not offer us the highest revenue [of the bidders]. In all our concessions, we never always went for the highest revenue.”

Brunner said BIAL has now finalised most of its commercial concessionaires to run its aviation-related and non-aviation businesses. “We have 15 more months to go. We have achieved quite a lot but there is still a lot more to do,” Brunner said.

Cargo handling has been split between two operators – a partnership between Air India and Singapore Air Terminal Services (SATS), and Bobba Group-Menzies Aviation. Ground handling will be operated by GlobeGround, a Bird Group-Lufthansa venture, and Air India-SATS. Lufthansa LSG Sky Chefs and Taj SATS have been chosen to handle flight catering.

As previously reported, a consortium of The Nuance Group and Shoppers’ Stop has been selected to operate retail and duty free in the International Departures area. HMSHost Corporation will operate the food & beverage services at the airport.

Brunner said: “BIAL is committed to establishing the new Bangalore International Airport as one of India’s leading airports in terms of quality and efficiency and setting a benchmark for other commercial Indian airports. And, most importantly, it will strengthen and foster the economic growth of the city and the state. We are on schedule and are looking forward to opening the airport by April 2008.”

About Bangalore International Airport Limited
BIAL is a public limited company under formed to build, own and operate the largest greenfield private sector-owned and operated airport in India – Bangalore International Airport. Private groups hold a 74% stake in BIAL; the state holds the remaining 26%.


HMSHost confirmed as food & beverage concessionaire at Bangalore Airport – 14/12/06

Nuance and Shoppers’ Stop win Bangalore duty free contract; HMSHost preferred F&B bidder – 30/11/06

Bangalore International Airport attracts star-studded short list for retail and F&B – 01/09/06

Fourteen companies express interest for retail and catering opportunities at Bangalore – 26/08/2006

Bangalore International Airport Ltd issues major Expressions of Interest call through The Moodie Report – 26/07/06